Friday, January 18, 2013

Drunk on Wine, Poetry, or Virtue?

             It was inevitable, I was going to relate to this poem, all I had to do was read it. This poem strikes me in so many different ways. First of all, throughout our lives we are basically taught to conform, to obey all authority. This occurs from the time we first recall, up until the day we begin asking questions once again, the real tragedy is when we stop questioning things forever. This poem speaks of "the burden of time bending you to the earth, you have to continually be drunk." However time is only a burden when wasted, and we tend to always be worrying about how much time we have, until we have no more. The key to this, which is very well illustrated throughout the poem, is to have passion, forget the unnecessary worries of the world, and do exactly what you love to do. Find what makes the day feel whole in the absence of time, after all a watched clock ticks much slower.
              This poem poses the question "Drunk on Wine, Poetry, or Virtue?" then states it doesn't matter, just choose one or any of them. Essentially it's not relevant what your substance (passion) is, it's much more important that your drunk, or overflowing with passion. Passion has the tendency to blind us of our troubles. I would love to go to Law School one day and thoroughly study Constitutional Law, if I wasn't passionate about this I could easily talk myself out of it, otherwise let the pressures of the world dictate what I was going to do for the rest of my life. Starting with how much money is involved with seven or eight years of school, how long it would take me to repay my student loans, the passion I possess for this career helps me overcome these obstacles mentally. We must be more focused on what we love and what we love to do, or our entire lives will be consumed and negated by the pressures imposed on our life by the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment